Name Change Lawyers in Dallas

How Do I Change My Name in Dallas, Texas?

Person changing their nameAt Capetillo Law PLLC, our clients seek to change their names or the names of their children for a variety of reasons, including divorce and adoption. Regardless of your reason for wanting to change your name, we can help you making a change to your legal name. Our Dallas name change attorneys guide clients through the process of legally changing their names.

Contact us now to learn more about how we can make the name change process as stress free as possible for you.

Please contact us by telephone at (214) 506-0091 to schedule a consultation.

What to Do When You Change Your Name?

Changing your name is a legal process that requires a petition to the court. It is very common for women to change their names after a divorce. In this situation, your divorce attorney can include a clause in your divorce petition for your name change. Our name change lawyers in Dallas help people legally change their names or their children’s names.

Your petition must include:

  • Your current name and requested name
  • The reason for the change
  • Date of birth
  • Information about race and sex
  • Any prior convictions
  • A fingerprint card
  • Driver’s license

After you have your name changed, you will need to change your legal name with the Social Security Administration and on your driver’s license. There are specific forms that must be completed, and you will need to provide either the divorce decree or court order to make these changes. We can advise you of the steps that you need to take to ensure that your legal name is changed on your identification and financial and legal documents.

What Are Reasons to Change Your Name?

There are many conclusions a person can arrive at to justify them changing their name. Some of them included but are not limited to:

  • Changing name after a divorce
  • A man choosing to take on the woman's name after they are married
  • A child changing their surname between parents
  • Not liking current name
  • Religious purpose or reason
  • Transgender changes

Legal Representation for Your Specific Needs

In some situations, making a legal change to your name or your child’s name can be complicated. For example, if you want to change your children’s names after a divorce and your ex-spouse does not agree, you will need to show that the name change is in the best interest of the child. We can listen to your situation and help you navigate the legal process.

Call (214) 506-0091 to start the process of legally changing your name.

Meet Our Attorney

  • Kaitlin  Capetillo Photo
    Kaitlin Capetillo
    Attorney Kaitlin Capetillo is known for providing personable and compassionate counsel. She deeply cares about what happens to clients once their cases are over, and plans her legal strategies with long-term goals in mind. Many of her clients have children and are concerned about how a divorce will affect their relationship. This is the most important aspect of a divorce for many people, and Attorney Capetillo keeps this in mind as she moves the case forward. However, priorities are different for every client, so you can rest assured that what’s most important to you is what’s most important to us.

What Set's Us Apart?

  • Responsive

    Our attorneys are easily accessible to ensure that all of your questions and concerns are always taken care of.

  • Preparation

    We take the time to educate our clients; this allows you to be able to make the best decision for you and your family. 

  • Personalized Approach

    No two cases are the same; every case is tailored strategically to fit your goals.

  • Work Directly With An Attorney

    You will work directly with an attorney every step of the way.

Get in Touch

Let Us Know How We Can Help
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.